Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Full Time with Benefits
Position Description Summary
The Communications Manager has primary responsibility for coordinating and implementing all marketing, communications, and public relations, including internal and external communications, publications, media, social media, and events. This position will contribute to the development of communication and outreach strategies that are designed to celebrate the work of our grantees, investment partners, and to promote the projects and entrepreneurial activities pursued at various levels throughout the organization. The Manager also will ensure all marketing and communications activities are of the highest quality, are aligned, and support organizational goals. The Communications Manager will also contribute to and support other strategic engagement and program efforts. This position will report to the Executive Director.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
Aligning With Our Culture
This is a new position and enhanced strategy for our evolving organization. The ideal candidate will be adaptable and willing to take the lead on projects.
We hope candidates will:
- Add energy to every conversation
- Ask why
- Offer to help colleagues before they ask
- Continually learn
- Encourage curiosity
- Respect the difficult and amazing work of our nonprofit colleagues
- Surface what’s hidden
- Show up with one’s whole, rare, imperfect self
- Be willing to experiment and fail
- Listen deeply
Marketing, Communications and Public Relations
- Contribute to development, and communication about our overall Theory of Change, which aligns our roles, goals and strategies with our mission and vision. RCS and GOREC may include donor relations and engagement of key audiences
- Work closely with all staff to ensure internal and external communications are high quality and aligned with goals; oversee tracking of key metrics and maintains dashboard reporting
- Coordinate public relations and earned media efforts including developing a media plan and schedule, writing press releases, developing and pitching story ideas, and facilitating media outreach
- Develop content for and manage distribution of all print communications including the annual report, brochures, newsletters, event invitations, form letters, etc.
- Develop content for and manage all electronic communications, including e-newsletters
- Manage the foundation’s online presence, including websites and social media; use electronic media strategically to reach key audiences and support organizational goals
- Plan, organize, and execute special events
- Facilitate and support speaking opportunities and other strategic outreach opportunities, including coordinating appropriate staff, providing talking points, and preparing materials. Support Board of Directors as ambassadors of the mission
Programs and Grantmaking
- Coordinate program and grantmaking communications including announcement of grant cycles, preparing letters to applicants/recipients, etc.
- Maintain online application areas of the website, ensuring clarity of information and optimal experience for users of the online application system
- Obtain, utilize, and promote impact information on programs and grantmaking
- Contribute to and support other strategic engagement and program efforts
- Help with pre-grant meetings, conversations and record keeping
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Job Requirements
- Knowledge about and passion for philanthropy and nonprofit organizations
- Participate as one of the primary points of contact on phone and for visitors
- Contribute to overall office operations
- Manage some Board and committee related communications
- Experience with planning and implementing events, media relations, and social media
- Strong writing and copy editing skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft office applications
- Proficiency with database management, preferably Salesforce
- Collaborative, flexible team player
- Detail-oriented and passionate about quality
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Must have the ability to manage multiple tasks in an environment with short deadlines while maintaining close attention to detail
- Ability to generate creative ideas and implement them within the organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with all staff, Boards of Directors, committees, grant seekers, the media, outside professionals, and the community-at-large
- Experience and relationships to help connect to new audiences
Education, Experience, and Compensation
*This position represents an opportunity to grow into more hands-on areas of our philanthropic organization
- A bachelor’s degree is required, with a degree in journalism, communications, or marketing preferred
- At least 2 years of related experience
- This is a full-time position with benefits available; initial compensation is anticipated to be $45-50,000 annually
Applicants should submit a resume and two writing sample to Leah Bagdon McCallum at email@example.com no later than June 22.
About Rotary Charities of Traverse City
Rotary Charities has invested over $58 million in over 1,300 grants to the five-county Grand Traverse region since 1977.
We envision a region where people are working together, sharing resources and negotiating differences in healthy ways toward building a thriving, prosperous and fair region.
Our Vision: People working together, sharing resources and negotiating differences in healthy ways toward building a thriving, prosperous, and fair region.
Our Mission: Rotary Charities uses its resources and connections to help create a fair and thriving region.
Our Values: We believe in truth, service, mutual benefit, goodwill, the dignity of the individual, diversity, collaboration, and innovation for the common good.